Monday, February 26, 2007

Sprouted Grain Cereal???

Too cool!!!!!

And how ironic that I just posted about how much I hate traditional cereal in my last blog. I was at PCC today and much to my surprise, they carry Food For Life, Sprouted Grain cold cereal! I've bought this company's cinnamon raisin sprouted bread before and it's wonderful, but I had no idea they made cereal.

I have tried making sprouted cereal myself here at home and it turned out so-so. I sprouted some bulgar in a bowl of plain kefir for 24 hours and then slowly baked it. Then I added in some coconut shreds, Rapadura and raisins. It was ok, but it was a little chewey rather than crunchy because my oven can't heat it at a low enough temperature. It needs to bake, but not much above dehydration temperature.

Anyway, back to the point of this post. Because the grains are sprouted, all of their nutrients are available and they're much easier to digest. Remember, sprouting grains neutralizes phytates and enzyme inhibitors that naturally occur in all grains. So I bought a box of the Cinnamon Raisin cereal (after the initial price and size of the box shock, LOL). It's not bad! Both of the girls had a bowl of it and if a 3 and 4 year old will eat it, that's saying a lot! It reminded me a little of Grape Nuts (which are not healthy, btw), but with a lot more depth and flavor. And it smelled good too!

It's definitely worth a taste and will satisfy that crunchy cereal craving we all have every now and then. ...or more often than we'd like to admit!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails