Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Not that we go to Starbucks THAT often, but it was nice to swing by on occasion and the girls love getting organic steamed milks that I sweeten with stevia. No more!
Starbucks chose to do this because they're proud to have switched all regular milk to rBGH-free milk, they phased out the organic milk..............
...... you know because rBGH is the ONLY REASON to drink organic milk.
Nevermind the fact that conventional animals are confined to repulsive living quarters. Nevermind that rBGH is only ONE hormone! What about all the rest? Nevermind that those poor animals are fed pesticide-laden, GM corn and soy and then pumped full of antibiotics to prevent the infections their diet causes. This stuff MATTERS. This stuff is what makes organic milk worth the extra money. Conventional milk IS NOT HEALTHY. Healthy milks comes from healthy cows. It's as simple as that.
I can't expect Starbucks to go all-organic, I know that. :) rBGH-free milk is a great step for a big company like Starbucks to make, but they should have kept organic milk as a CHOICE.
Seattle Times Article
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Ugh, I definitely needed a good laugh this morning. :) LOVE THIS! Thanks to my wonderful uncle for emailing it to me.
I'm not much of a bumper sticker person (except for my itty bitty republican elephant sticker), but boy do I want to display this somewhere! LOL
Thursday, January 17, 2008
This wonderful new product I found is called Zevia and it's made by a small company here in Seattle, WA. They make three flavors and all three are absolutely fantastic. Their cola flavor tastes like REAL cola, not diet cola. The orange flavor and lemon/lime twist flavor are both caffeine-free and also just as delicious. I'm sipping the lemon/lime right now. :)
And here's why I like this product:
- No artificial sweeteners or preservatives. They use stevia and erythritol (sugar alcohol found in fruits & veggies) to sweeten their drinks.
- No phosphoric acid! This is what most cola companies use to give their drinks that carbonated zing, but it's horrible for your body. It softens your bones and teeth enamel as well as it neutralizes stomach acid so you don't digest the nutrients in food properly.
- Real citric acid! According to the Zevia website, their citric acid comes from oranges, grapefruits, pineapples, lemons and limes. Most citric acid in the food industry is not extracted from citrus fruit, but fermented by mold from scrap molasses, waste starch hydrolysates and phosphoric acid. NASTY!
- Triple filtered water! Most cola companies use regular tap water. I don't know what kind of filteration they use, but any filtration is better than none. My preference would be reverse osmosis. :)
- Natural colors - the company worked very hard to find natural colors for their products. The orange soda is BRIGHT ORANGE, but it uses all natural annatto, from the achiote tree. Their cola flavor is colored with natural caramel color and their lemon/lime twist flavor is clear.
I just stopped by Whole Foods on my way home today and they don't carry this product. So I talked to the employee working that department and she was THRILLED. She immediately went to her computer and pulled up the Zevia website, brought up their wholesalers list and ordered the product! Yay! So if you live near a Whole Foods, stop in and request the product. Otherwise, you can find it at most PCC stores and small natural thrift stores. The Zevia website has a partial list of where it's available.